St Leonard's Church, Semley

Semley Church

A parish church has stood in Semley since Norman times. However the present church is Victorian. The remnants from the older buildings are the Norman font and a thirteenth century effigy of a priest, which are both situated close to the north door. The rebuilding of the church was begun in 1866 by the then Rector of Semley. He took down the old chancel and built a new one entirely at his own expense. The rest of the building was demolished in 1874 and was rebuilt around the new chancel in Perpendicular style. The Church contains some fine stained glass; this includes a spectacular window in the Lady Chapel designed by Henry Haig in memory of WPC Yvonne Fletcher who was tragically shot while on duty at the Libyan Embassy in St James Square, London and died on the 17th April 1984.

The tower is a prominent feature with a small spire in the northwest corner. There is a fine set of 6 bells (one of the heaviest rings in the country) which are in good working order.

Sunday Services

The normal monthly pattern of Sunday services in the Church is as follows:

  • First Sunday of the month: Sung Eucharist at 9.30 am
  • Second Sunday of the month: Family Service at 9.30 am
  • Third Sunday of the month: Evening Prayer at 6.00 pm
  • Fourth Sunday of the month: BCP Sung Eucharist at 11.00 am

The dates and times of forthcoming services in the church can be found in the right-hand margin of this page, and on the Calendar page of this web site.

How to find the Church

For information on how the find the Church, click here.


Refurbishment of St Leonard’s Church, Semley

It will be recalled that in June 2015, we started our fundraising effort for our four intended projects:

-  The installation of a WC with disabled access
-  Reordering of the Bell Tower
-  The elimination of damp and re-decoration of the Lady Chapel
-  The installation of a glass door in the North Porch.

Whilst not yet fully funded, we are well on the way with about £75,000 at our disposal. Estimates for the work have been received, and we have applied for a faculty (planning permission) to the DAC with whom, through our architect, we are in negotiations over some of the details.

It would be unwise to predict when work will begin but it would be disappointing if it were later than early Spring 2017.

Malise Read Scott